Tuesday, 27 January 2015

London Vegetarian Restaurant Review



2.jpg1.jpgOn my Birthday, I happened to be in London so thought id treat myself to a meal at a vegetarian restaurant. Having searched for the best veggie restaurants online, I eventually chose to try Amico Bio, Barbican. We booked in advance as we weren't sure if you could just turn up. We booked via email and they were very quick to respond, in fact we arrived early but that was no problem it was fairly quiet for a Saturday evening that early. The restaurant had a steady flow of customers throughout the evening but never feeling too busy.

First impressions, a relaxed rustic style. I couldn't wait to see the menu.... its not often I can look at a whole menu and order anything! Turns out its quite hard to choose when you have lots of amazing choice!!! One thing I loved was that the table settings themselves give you information about this eateries philosophy!





As it was my birthday, we decided to go for 3 courses. As it was going to take a while to decide what to have, we ordered drinks and sharing breads while we mulled over the menu. My hubby isn't vegetarian, but does often choose veggie options when we are out and eats mostly vegetarian at home, so I do like to find places to eat that appeal to him too. I tried a veggie red wine and my hubby had apple juice... now he is really fussy about juice and he loved this one. Its a thick flavoursome juice, but with no 'bits' so he was really happy!
4.jpg
3.jpg


Starters, I had the bean and cabbage soup, sounds boring, I know, but it was really tasty, like a minestrone. My husband  had the ravioli and of course I had to give all his choices a taste test... and  I liked his choice too!






5.jpg6.jpgMain Courses. I had the veggie 'meatballs' with salad, now this was with a tomato sauce with cheese, but you could have it without the cheese for a vegan option. My hubby went for the tempura vegetables with a dip. He really enjoyed it but felt the portion was a bit big, so bit much of one flavour. He would have liked a smaller portion served with something else personally. I think it would have worked better as a starter.




7.jpg8.jpgDeserts. Despite the amazing choice, we both had the fruit crumble for desert, I had mine with chocolate cream, on recommendation by the staff, hubby had his with icecream. Both were great choices!!


Soya lattes finished off our evening, served with home made biscotti.  



There were vegan and gluten free options available on the menu. There is a sample menu on the website but the menu changes regularly, so many of the options on the night we visited were different to the website. There was also a little store in the restaurante so you can buy some ingredients for your own cooking. I also picked up some information leaflets which were by the staircase, on veggie societies.



I really love the philosophy here, an Italian restaurant serving organic, vegetarian dishes made with the fresh Italian produce. They are clearly passionate about food!

Im a featured Reviewer on The Besty http://www.thebesty.com/juliahubbard13986 Check out my other recommended restaurants from around the world.